Earlier this year I came across an excellent website that teaches kids how to read. I loved it because it teaches you a few similar words at a time and when you master that there is a 'book' you can read that incorporates those new words. KFC loved it because it seemed like a game. After finding that website I made a list of sight words and made them into flashcards. She hasn't been fond of the flashcards, so I will continue then as she shows interest. Over our summer vacation at the beach, my cousin brought a set of books that her son was reading. She explained the concept to me and I found 'book one' to look at and to my surprise KFC actually read the first book with very little help! She was all smiles knowing that she just read a book all by herself! I was told that Costco sells them, but for one reason or another I haven't made it to Costco in months!!! Friday, KFC and I had some free time so we strolled around Costco. At the end of the book table is where I found what I was looking for... "BOB Books"!. After digging through the stack to find 'Collection 1' and waiting in the check out line for over 10 minutes!, they were ours!
The box contains 18 books. You start with 'book 1' and move your way up when your child is ready. They progressively get harder with more sounds being added. It says by book 12 all letters of the alphabet will have been introduced. On the second page of all the books it has a list of sounds to go over before reading that book.
KFC was very eager to look through them and had remembered reading the first one while at the beach. I am making her read one BOB Book a night before I read her a regular story book when we are settling into our nightly routine. Last night was the first night. She finished the first book no problem, she wanted to continue on to book 2 and did so fairly well, then we moved on to book 3 and she had some stumbles. Now I know which book she needs to continue learning on right now.
I am very excited that she has a "want" to learn right now! A few months back I told myself that I was going to teach her how to read before she starts kindergarten, and I knew I had one whole year to do it. She is very sad that cousin B and others are already starting Kindergarten this year... so for her motivation I tell her that she can't start Kindergarten until she can read {or whatever else I need/want her to do!}. Working very well so far and I will continue to use it till it doesn't work anymore! haha
I also created her a little book that I made to take to the District Convention and meetings or just for her to do her 'school' work. I printed off tons of Pre-K learning pages, put them into sheet protectors, and put them into a notebook. She is able to use her dry erase markers on the sheet protectors to do the activities and then it wipes clean for next time.
We have also been trying to teach her addition. She picked it up fairly quickly. We started off by teaching her to count her fingers and has now progressed into counting objects. I picked up this little book thing from walmart in the back to school section a month or so ago that teaches you to write your numbers up to 30 and has two pages of addition.
I definitively don't want or think she should be home-schooled for her primary years, but I am committed to doing my best to teach her EVERYTHING she wants to learn when she is ready!



No comments:
Post a Comment