I came across an egg dyeing kit, I bought earlier this year when they were on sale, in our 'junk' drawer the other day. I forgot that I had it so I was excited to have a semi-fun craft for KFC and I to do. This was her first experience dying eggs. After finding the kit I decided to go ahead and hard boil the eggs to realize we only had a few white eggs, then realized we were almost out of vinegar! Off to the store we went. I let KFC do most of the prep work. We filled each cup with 3 tablespoons of vinegar then dropped the little tablets in. KFC thought it was cool that they fizzed. After all the fizzing had settled we add 1/2 of water to each cup. After 3 minutes of the egg in the dye they were good to go!
After we dyed all the eggs I cracked them open and showed KFC what the inside of a cooked egg looks like. Yes, she has never seen a hard boiled egg before for the fact that she is such a picky eater that I usually don't make them. She liked how 'squishy' the egg whites were!
I made deviled eggs out of the dyed eggs. I am not fond of them so I sent these with Hubby to work the next day. Hubby likes his deviled eggs with jalapenos so I added in several of our jalapenos from the garden. Hubby said that all the eggs were eaten by 8:30 that morning!
I took the egg shells and broke them into smaller pieces. I kept each respective colors in a separate cup since these were going to be used like a mosaic. The kit came with all the colors of the rainbow. I printed off a drawing of a rainbow, added glue to each bow and let KFC add the colored shells. Came out pretty neat! We still have leftover shells that we can use for another project!
This craft went well with a real rainbow that we had at our house Sunday evening! It was just after we had a little shower that this very vibrant rainbow appeared! At the left side you can see where a double rainbow was starting. {I pieced two photos together so I could get the entire rainbow}




No comments:
Post a Comment