I have been bit by the sewing bug! To try and help out with money, since I am now a broke stay-at-home-mom (haha!), I have been trying to find some crafts that I could make and eventually try to sell on Etsy. I came across this sewing craft on the Martha Stewart website for a homemade heating pad. First I needed a sewing machine, Check, then I needed the machine to work, UNcheck... So I borrowed MIL's sewing machine until mine is fixed. And here is my attempt at my first sewn homemade heating pad...
I kept trying to figure out how to finish off the end that was left open for the 'filling'. And I came across Quilt Taffy blog that showed me exactly how to do a hidden/blind stitch. I attempted and did an okay job...
At least it looks a little better that the stitch actually showing! I did alter what Martha Stewart said to use for the filling, just because I didn't know where to find dried cherry pits. So I used rice and beans. I also added two opened blueberry tea bags and added a few drops of peppermint extract- the only two smelly things I had on hand. Unfortunately I didn't have enough rice so that pad is a little wimpy! But I was too antsy to wait to go to the store. Oh well, next time I know I will need more. I think the peppermint is a little too much, but Kaile says it smells like candy! I will try to find some dried lavender to add for the next one.
No comments:
Post a Comment