Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Update On The 'Girls'

This past weekend, hubby FINALLY finished the fence around the chicken coop. For the past 5 weeks the chicks have been borded up inside the coop. At first they needed to be that way since they still needed the heat lamp, but these past couple weeks have been lots of "almost flying out of the coop" chickens every time I opened the back door to feed them! Hubby had a 'surprise' visit this Sunday from a good friend of his that moved to VA several years ago. He and hubby worked diligently on finishing up the fencing while I and mainly his wife kept getting attcked by BUGS.... spiders, ticks, caterpillars, and various flying things! Gotta love the woods!

Here are the girls right after we 'freed' them. As much as they kept trying to get out the past several weeks, they were very unsure about actually coming that afternoon!!! Bryan finally had to open the back door and push them all out the front! Then they LOVED it!


I matched the chicks up from when we got them (few days old) till now (7 weeks old). Amazed at how quickly they grew!

Americauna "Percy"
(blue/green eggs)



Silkie "Fro"


Red Star "un-named"


Road Island Red "Paprika"


Buff Orpington "TinkerBell"
(Some how I missed taking a picture of her as a chick except the picture when they all arrived. She's the one at the top far left)


Red Star ROOSTER "Willie"
(I am just about 100% sure she is a he rooster. Its bigger than the rest, has longer tail feathers, and has a VERY tall comb! The other girls barely have a comb. As soon as it crows, its gotta go, but don't wanna)


Them all together, free to roam around! Starting from top going counter clockwise are: Percy, TinkerBell, Paprika, Fro, Un-named, Willie


No comments:

Post a Comment