Since taking KFC camping for the first time last year and her liking it, I wanted to keep up us going every fall and spring. This fall we went a little later in the season than I had expected so it was VERY cold! I kept checking the forecast days before we left. Good news was that it was supposed to be full sun both days and mid-60's, bad news was the lows were expected to be in the upper 30's! I was worried that we would not have enough sleeping bags, so I started asking around. We had 1, Papa had 3, Catlin's had 4, and L&GW had 2... that's 10 sleeping bags total, YES!!! I also brought 2 comforters, sheets, and several smaller throw blankets. I like to over prepare than be stuck 2 hours from home and freezing. And we used all 10 of those sleeping bags! I have a method~ sleeping bag under the air mattress, one on top of air mattress, then a sheet, then a sleeping bag you actually sleep in, then a cover on top! Hubby and KFC didn't want the air mattress, so I made them a pallet with layers of sleeping bags, one to sleep in, comforter on top and the smaller blankets on top of that. First night I didn't actually sleep in a sleeping bag but under a comforter and I FROZE the ENTIRE night!!! The second night I got smarter, re-arranged where certain sleeping bags went so that I could have one to sleep inside of. Then we layered up clothing to sleep in. I had a t-shirt, then hoodie, then a coat, a scarf, and gloves, long-johns under fleece pants, and 2 layers of socks! Nice and toasty! Whew.
The campground had heat in the bathrooms which was super nice when it came to taking a shower! Downfall was all the granddaddy-long legs taking over the bathroom! I know they are the nicest of the spiders but I don't do spiders!
We got to the campground around 2pm Friday. Uncle KK and CousinM were bunking with us for the weekend so we used their tent since it was bigger than ours. And our tent went to the Halls since they didn't have one. Once we got to the campsite, Hubby and I tested our marriage setting up their monstrous tent! After that was up, Hubby and BR went to set up our tent for Halls while I put together our elaborate sleeping arrangements. Everyone was pretty much there and set up by dinner time. KFC went to bed promptly at 8pm since she was being super whinny! She was asleep before I finished changing into my PJ's!
Saturday we were awaken by 7am with some crazy person cutting wood! Together we made pancakes, bacon, hashbrowns, and eggs. Cleaned-up breakfast and got dressed to head to the top of mountain for some sight-seeing.
I thought about how I should grab batteries for my camera before we left home, just in case... Sure enough, I pulled out my camera and the battery light was blinking with no spare batteries! This trip has very few pictures :( {I apologize to my family now for when we look back at our trip years from now and we are short on the memories, oh well}
We were trying to figure out a way to get everyone up to the top while not having to take every car... ya know, trying to be 'green'. Then I thought, if I really wanted to be 'green' then we would take the 2 mile moderate/strenous hike up that started right beside our campsites! Nah... we hopped in BR's truck. I was to scared to ride in the bed, even though I let my child ride back there! haha
Take 1 of family pictures. Hubby and KFC, not looking too happy...
Take 2 of family pictures. Hubby doing a stupid face, and KFC still Not happy! Then I gave up.
I think there is where KFC got her pose with her hands on her hips... from her Daddy!
Saturday night after dinner, I broke out the coloring pages I had printed off for them to do. Trying to keep them busy till they retired to bed! Hubby insisted that we bring this table from home, I thought he was going over-board, but WOW was it great for the kids!
Sunday morning the girls asked to color again, so Sure, keep busy :) I also made all the kids scavenger hunt bags. I found some ideas online, made a list of the items I thought would go with our campsite, found pictures to go with the listed items (since some of them can't read yet), printed off the list and attached it to brown paper lunch bags. Then printed off each kids name to add to their bag- KFC picked out the name color for each kid. Some cared for the scavenger hunt and some didn't, but at least it kept them busy!
Despite the extreme cold at night and all the bumps and bruises the kids (+ 1 adult) endured it was a great camping trip! Glad we got to spend the weekend with our local friends as well as our out-of-town friends! In the spring, I plan on trying out a different campsite as well as a longer stay.

















