Yes, we have lost another chicken! I noticed this afternoon there were some feathers around their coop, but just figured one had shed a few. After staring at them for a while I realized we were missing one. There was about a 4 foot gap on the top of the 'run' area that we hadn't gotten to closing in. I guess a hawk flew in, attacked, then took our poor Paprika with it! She was one of the friendlier chickens and I really started to get attached. I especially liked around her eyes, it looks like she has eye liner on! Just makes me mad that we started with 8 chickens... 2 died, 1 is a rooster, and now one gets eaten, so we are now down to 4 laying hens! Our Silkie chicken won't lay all that often, and the Americauna and Buff Orpington lay a few times a week, and the red star should lay every day. Not as many eggs per day as I would like! I may end up getting some more red stars. Bryan basically finished off the top this afternoon. Hopefully the hawk won't be able to get back in- now that it knows they are there!

So sorry - it is starting to make me sick every time I hear about one of my friends losing their chickens. I need to get a grip on that. We had chicken when I was growing up and they were not our pets - they provided food for us - both by laying and as meat later. Didn't eat chicken until I was grown and dating Dwight - he introduced me to his BBQ chicken breast. Still only like the breast and sometimes wings. Hope having the top fixed will prevent more losses.
ReplyDeleteI'm sooo sorry :( That really stinks. What makes it worse is that you were getting attached. Never cool to lose something you care about. I hope this puts an end to losing any more.
ReplyDelete