Friday, September 7, 2012

Updates

These past couple weeks have been a whirlwind. I'm attempting to catch up on all that has been going on around here.

KFC entered her second week of Kindergarten. So far this week she is loving school! She looks forward to going every day. Tuesday, I had an OB appointment which I had to get her out of school like 45 minutes early and she was MAD. "But I didn't finish snack time!" Her school as implemented a 'behavior chart' kinda thing. All students start are green, if you make bad choices you move down to yellow and red, but when you make good choices you move up to blue, purple, and aqua at the top. Most days KFC stays on green. One day she made it to blue, while yesterday she made it all the way up to aqua!!! I don't know what she did to get to this 'outstanding' level but I was happy! One boy in her class, according to her, is always in the time out chair and has been sent to the principals office on several occasions. I'm so glad that is not my child! :) She is coming home and singing to me all the new songs she is learning and all the new things the teacher has taught them. Funny how school can make her grasp things better than I could teach at home. The class visited the library for the first time this week and she was able to bring home a book! I found it amusing that she picked one called Why I was So Mad. This weeks homework consisted of writing all the letters of the alphabet upper and lower case on lined paper. This time she actually didn't put up too much of a fight to have to write! She had been taught the letters A though L during school when we did the assignment. It was amazing the difference in how much more clearly she was writing them. The rest of the alphabet needed some work but wow she is improving! KFC said the teacher split some of them off to the reading corner and was getting them to read some books. The teacher sent home that she was going to be evaluating their reading level this week. KFC said she was able to read the whole book! Yay! Since I was in a lot of pain earlier this week, Hubby took over making her lunch at night. He thought it would be cute to draw her a picture on her sandwich baggie. She loved it. This just 'inspired' him to keep on going! Win for me! I didn't think to start taking pictures of these drawings till the 3rd day. If he keeps it up, I might make a book out of all these baggie drawings!

ET came on TV this past week, and we have the movie, so KFC was curious to watch it. Here is day 3's drawing. I showed it to her before leaving for school, so just in case is scared the mess out of her, she didn't have to find out at lunch time. Her eyes got HUGE when I brought it out, but then she got a big smile on her face. 


Day 4 ~ Tinker Bell
{FYI - Hubby went out and bought colored Sharpies just for this endevour}


Last Thursday, I dropped KFC off to school and headed to town for my 32 week OB visit. I knew I was going to be early, and not wanting to go home for 30 minutes just to have to leave again, I went to hang out at my old job which is just a couple suites down from my OB. On the ride in, I noticed my back starting to hurt. My first thought is, Oh no ANOTHER kidney stone!??? Hubby thinks I am a total hypochondriac, so I brushed it off as I must have slept wrong. By the time I made it to my old job I KNEW it was kidney stone pain. The pain kept getting worse and worse as time went on. But my appointment was soon, I was already there, and I just wanted to get it over with so I could make it back home before the pain was unbearable and I had access to my Vicodin. I sat in the OB's waiting room crying and pushing on my back for 30 minutes!!! You would think if the front desk saw me in pain they would have hurried me along. Finally the nurse called me back, asked the usual... Are you in any pain today? Really lady, do I look happy! Told her I was having a kidney stone attack and was in terrible pain. Still thinking, oh she will tell the Dr and they will quickly get to me so I can make it home before I can't physically drive myself home. Uh nope, I think I stayed in the room for about 20 minutes before the Dr came in! I could hear her moving from patient to patient and never to me. By this time, I was severely sweating, about to throw up and could hardly move. Dr quickly did a her normal measure baby and listen to heartbeat. She had my urine tested and said I also had a UTI. Come to find out, I never had a UTI, just a lot of blood in the urine. She told me she was sending me straight to the hospital to be admitted to L&D for IV fluids and antibiotics. I called Hubby and told him to leave work NOW. The hospital parking was FULL! I think I found the last spot, but by the time Hubby got there, he was just driving around looking. After calling him to find out where he was, I pleaded with him to just use the valet because I didn't care how much it cost and I just needed him inside right NOW! The lady checking us in was SUPER slow and could never get out information right. If I could have talked through the pain, I probably would have yelled at her that having our phone number correct was not as important and getting me a nurse and doctor! Once the nurse came in, she took forever to get the baby's heartbeat to stay on the monitor. Again not important, I just left the OB where baby was fine. Then after 3 excruciating needle sticks to get my IV started, the nurse gave up and had to call in a specialist. Oh how I loved the specialist!!! She went straight for a vein with a smaller needle and it went right in, NO PAIN AT ALL! :) A week later and my arms are still bruised from the needle attempts. After 2 rounds of some kind of pain killer, I was still in pain. So they gave me morphine. And that only took the edge off. After about an hour after morphine my pain finally went away. They gave me 3 bags of IV fluids and got in a second round of antibiotics and we were finally able to go home at 8pm. Ahhh, so I thought. All weekend long I just felt like my 'UTI' was getting worse. The office was closed Monday for holiday, so I called first thing Tuesday morning. Went back to see the OB where they told me I did not have a UTI but this was all kidney stone related. I was so hoping a new antibiotics would cure me of this pain. She said she was referring me to the Urologist. I went home to more sever pain, but this time all the pain was near the 'exit'. Around 7pm pain was unbearable, so I laid in bed crying. It hurt to pee, so I held it for as long as I could. When I finally went, I felt something shoot out! And there was instant relief!!! I knew it was finally out! I was not about to let this stone get flushed away, so I didn't care that I was about to stick my hand in a toilet of urine! I looked and only saw a tiny piece of stone. I took it out thinking, this can't be all. In the past, I had severe pain and all that came out was a stone the size of sand! But I was determined there had to be more. I stuck my hand down the hole where you can't see anymore, and I felt a good size rock. No way this huge thing could be a kidney stone??? When I looked at it, I could see the crystals in it and knew this was the stone! When I went to the Urologist, he was SHOCKED to see that I had passed this size stone. He said he sees a lot this size but has NEVER seen someone pass it without the help of breaking it up first. He said, if they knew how big it was when it came out, they would have never let me attempt to pass it. It took exactly 10 weeks from the stone coming out of the kidney to it coming out of me! I'm so glad this stone showed just how much pain I had been in. I'm still not convinced I don't have another stone on my right side, but so far its nothing compared to this one!

Stone measured 3/4" long and 1/4" wide




In between having KFC in school and not being in pain, I am getting some of the things done on my list of 'Things to do before baby comes". One is this awesome car seat blanket! I made slits and holes in it for the buckles to go through. That way, baby can't kick off the blanket and I can still wrap her up without it being a safety hazard. I made it out of 2 different flannel pieces along with some batting insulation. This baby will be going through the entire winter so I knew this was one thing I wanted to make her before she got here. The tutorial was simple to follow and it came out prefect! Can't wait for her to use it! It is so soft and warm. 

I found one of KFC's babies that measured 21 inches, about the right height for a newborn, to use as my test dummy!


All wrapped up and ready to go